St. Angelo Fort (also known as Kannur Fort or Kannur Kotta), is a fort facing the Arabian Sea, situated 3 km from the town of Kannur.St Angelo’s fort is a most important historical monument and a popular tourist attraction. It was built in 1505 by the first Portuguese Viceroy, Don Francisco De Almeida, with the permission of the Kolathiris, on a promontory jutting into the Lakshadweep Sea. The Dutch captured the fort in 1663 and sold it to the Ali Raja of Kannur in 1772 and in 1790 it came into the possession of the British. The British rebuilt it and made it their most important station in Malabar.
The Moppila Bay Harbor and Arakkal Mosque are near the fort. The fort is now renovated and well-maintained under the supervision of the Archaeological Survey of India. Tourists are allowed entry to the fort every day of the week between 8 AM to 6 PM.
How to reach
Road: 3 km from kannur town
Rail : railway station kannur
Air: Calicut international airport 120 km